• February 17Cheerleaders win fifth place at NCA Nationals

• February 4Competitive Cheer wins the FHSAA 2A Small Non-Tumbling State Champhionship for the second year in a row

• February 4Band director Brett Dawson is voted 2016-2017 teacher of the year

The student news site of Coral Springs High School

Colt Chronicle

It’s a new tradition

Mr. Bill Kramer has been teaching at this school for 25 years. Dr. Changlong Wang just arrived from China. Both become part of Coral Springs High tradition.

Left%3A+Dr.+Changlong+Wang+teaches+one+dimensional+motion+to+his+physics+honors+class.+Wang+was+the+newest+teacher+at+school.+%E2%80%9CTeaching+in+America+is+a+different+experience%2C%E2%80%9D+Wang+said.+Picture+by+Kiara+Walker.+Right%3A+Mr.+Bill+Kramer+recites+oral+notes+to+his+AP+U.S.+History+Class.+Kramer+has+been+teaching+here+for+33+years.+%E2%80%9CThe+students+are+the+best+part+of+my+job%2C%E2%80%9D+Kramer+said.+Picture+by+Willie+Kinnebrew.+
Left: Dr. Changlong Wang teaches one dimensional motion to his physics honors class. Wang was the newest teacher at school. “Teaching in America is a different experience,” Wang said. Picture by Kiara Walker. Right: Mr. Bill Kramer recites oral notes to his AP U.S. History Class. Kramer has been teaching here for 33 years. “The students are the best part of my job,” Kramer said. Picture by Willie Kinnebrew.

W. Kinnebrew

W. Kinnebrew

Szilard Beres, Features Editor

It’s routine for AP U.S. teacher Mr. Bill Kramer.

He looks out to the sea of juniors from his beat-up podium, adorned with notes from his former students. Taking out his notepad, he starts the notes for the day – orally, course. That’s the way it’s always been.

He’s seen the school transform over his 33 year tenure, but some things are just tradition – including handwritten notes and chalkboards.

Coral Springs’ demographics have changed from a predominately white, farming community into one that is urban and diverse. However, one thing Kramer has consistently seen is the success of his students, both in and out of the classroom.

“The kids, the great blend of students here, there have been so many neat kids I’ve taught [that] are just good people,” Kramer said. “You know what’s funny is that I see former students wherever I go. Orlando, Denver Airports, Chicago, Disney, it’s amazing.”

It’s in these halls in which Kramer met his wife, after his coworker told him there a was a new teacher.

“The day I met my future wife was in the waiting room,” Kramer said. “He told me to check her out and a week later I asked her for a date.”

Within those 33 years, Kramer has also seen many physical changes at Coral Springs. This year alone, Coral Springs enrollment reached almost 3,000 and the school hired 40 more teachers.

“The student population has changed and the number of buildings has multiplied. In fact, I used to park behind where the tenth building is right now. Overall, a lot of changes are positive,” Kramer said.

On the other end of the spectrum is Dr. Changlong Wang, the newest teacher at Coral Springs. His expertise in mathematics and physics has landed him a position as the AP Physics 1 and 2 teacher.

Although he received his doctorate degree in quantum physics from the University of Florida, prior to that he studied at Shanghai University and grew up in China. Getting used to the traditions at Coral Springs from China has been difficult in the beginning, from homecoming dances to the way the Broward County grading system works.

“Even studying in Gainesville for the University of Florida, there were a lot of Chinese people there. When you see someone on the street, they sometimes even say hi to you in Chinese and talk to you in it,” Wang said.

The first few days of the school year were filled with questions for Dr. Changlong Wang by his students, who were not expecting a new physics teacher.

“When the teachers and students found out that I came from China, they seemed very interested in all kinds of things like weird policies and the food, and [they] wanted to know more,” Wang said.

Whilst learning American traditions, his students were also introduced to Chinese ones. Wang spends class teaching his students (Mandarin or Cantonese) words, sharing stories about the educational system in China and treating them to candies he grew up eating. However, there are also some stereotypes he needs to address to his students.

“The [students] have some idea that since you are Chinese, you are hardworking and good at math. But most of the Chinese right now are getting worse,” Wang said.

According to Wang, the Coral Springs community has been welcoming to him.

“I think if someone has some idea of Chinese culture then they will be nice to you and be friends with you,” Wang said.

Both Kramer and Wang are integral parts of the Coral Springs High School experience, according to junior Jarid Altmark.

“I’m looking forward to my future at Coral Springs,” Wang said.

• It’s a new tradition

Showcase

Scholar Season

• It’s a new tradition

News

Principal gets county promotion, school looks for replacement

• It’s a new tradition

News

Safe at school

• It’s a new tradition

News

Drama wins

• It’s a new tradition

Features

The Morning After

• It’s a new tradition

Showcase

New kids on the track

• It’s a new tradition

Features

Young voters connect with Hillary Clinton at Coral Springs rally

• It’s a new tradition

Opinion

Donald Trump will be our next president. We need to accept that.

• It’s a new tradition

News

Remembering Jenkins

• It’s a new tradition

Features

Not just a scarf

It’s a new tradition