• February 17Cheerleaders win fifth place at NCA Nationals

• February 4Competitive Cheer wins the FHSAA 2A Small Non-Tumbling State Champhionship for the second year in a row

• February 4Band director Brett Dawson is voted 2016-2017 teacher of the year

The student news site of Coral Springs High School

Colt Chronicle

Safe at school

School hires additional monitors, implements new policies to strengthen security measures

Showing an ID before entering school

Showing an ID before entering school

K. Walker

K. Walker

Showing an ID before entering school

Ramishah Maruf and Amanda Russo

After a thwarted violent act by a student in possession of a loaded gun last October, the administration has implemented a number of new policies to keep staff and students safe on campus.

Two additional security monitors have been hired: Mr. Brandon Torrance, who was brought on board in October, and Mr. Evan Sovay, who joined the security staff in November. In the near future, the school plans to hire one additional staff member to man the camera room full time.

According to Assistant Principal John Murphy, efforts are being made to bolster security measures on campus. While the incident in October certainly led to changes in security policies, the administration has been working on securing the perimeter of the school for years, according to Murphy.

“A priority at the current time is the move to establish a single point of entry. We have changed the security monitor posts and we have assigned one person to control all vehicular traffic. We are working with the county to make these changes… we will need money to do it,” Murphy said.

Murphy also stated that to securing the entire perimeter could involve putting up fences around the school.

Security Specialist Christopher Phillips agreed that a single point of entry to the school is the ultimate goal.

“When the first bell rings in the morning, doors are secured to try to get kids to come in through the main entrance. We have added signs and we are requiring all late students to present identification,” Phillips said.

Students without identification are being sent to the media center to get new cards, according to Phillips.

While Murphy acknowledges that violence is a district-wide issue, he stressed that the Coral Springs community should feel safe in school.

R. Maruf

“We have added security measures, we are working with police, we have trained our teachers; we have faculty and student drill training coming up. Without a doubt, our students should feel safe in the building,” Murphy said.

Coral Springs appeared on the local news this October after a former student appear on campus with a gun and another wrote a manifesto declaring violence against the school.

“I think the administration handled [the situation] very well,” senior Kylie Simmons said. “They made sure none of us panicked and I trust they will keep us safe. The added security just makes us feel safer.”

While many have praised the new security measures, some students question its effectiveness.

“All I’ve really noticed are the two new security guards,” junior Jarid Altmark said. “I understand the need to have a more secure school but I don’t really understand why we have to show our ID’s every time we’re late to school. It becomes annoying, especially since a lot of us have lost or misplaced our ID’s.”

Other students have noticed a considerable measure of improvement when it comes to security.

“I used to feel like we could get away with quite a bit, but lately they are really hammering down on getting us into class and requiring us to stay there. I think most of us appreciate the policies and understand the school just wants to keep us safe,” junior Alex Alvarez said.

• Safe at school

Showcase

Scholar Season

• Safe at school

News

Principal gets county promotion, school looks for replacement

• Safe at school

News

Drama wins

• Safe at school

Features

The Morning After

• Safe at school

Showcase

New kids on the track

• Safe at school

Features

It’s a new tradition

• Safe at school

Features

Young voters connect with Hillary Clinton at Coral Springs rally

• Safe at school

Opinion

Donald Trump will be our next president. We need to accept that.

• Safe at school

News

Remembering Jenkins

• Safe at school

Features

Not just a scarf

Safe at school