• February 17Cheerleaders win fifth place at NCA Nationals

• February 4Competitive Cheer wins the FHSAA 2A Small Non-Tumbling State Champhionship for the second year in a row

• February 4Band director Brett Dawson is voted 2016-2017 teacher of the year

The student news site of Coral Springs High School

Colt Chronicle

Student government goes to presidential inauguration

Amanda Russo, News Editor

The Student Government Association (SGA) will be traveling to Washington D.C. in January 2017 to attend the 45th Presidential Inauguration of Donald Trump, the 2016 President-elect.

During the second semester of the 2015-2016 school year, SGA was invited to attend this “once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” according to SGA president Christine Keller, by J.P. Taravella High School’s SGA. Taravella was presented with the opportunity after working with the Criminal Justice Program. As soon as the opportunity was presented to the Coral Springs students, many, including SGA President, Christine Keller, were convinced they wanted to participate in an experience like this one.

“I never actually thought that I would ever receive the opportunity to experience something like this, so when I heard about this trip, I was convinced I wanted to be a part of it.  I have always been interested in politics and followed the 2016 Election closely, so I am ecstatic to witness this historic event,” Keller said.

As January 2017 is approaching, the SGA students and chaperons, Mrs. Leon-Leigh and Mrs. Nichols, said they are becoming increasingly excited to take on the nation’s capital and reminisce in all of the sightseeing the city has to offer.

However, it isn’t monuments and historic inaugurations a number of students are anticipating the most.

“I am definitely looking forward to spending almost a week out of Florida and in the cold weather.  I was born in Pennsylvania, so I am used to the cold weather and prefer it over Florida’s tropical weather,” junior Michael Sommer said.

SGA will be in D.C. for five days, from January 18th-January 22nd 2017.  On the trip, these students will also go to popular tourist attractions, such as the Washington Memorial, US Capitol Building, Arlington National Cemetery, plus other National Memorials, and may even get the chance to tour the White House before the Inauguration.

“I am so excited for the chance to go to the White House again.  I went and toured it on a school field trip in 8th grade and got to see many amazing sights, including Barack Obama’s dog.  I hope my experience in January is as great as it was in 8th grade,” junior Kristen Hanna said.