• February 17Cheerleaders win fifth place at NCA Nationals

• February 4Competitive Cheer wins the FHSAA 2A Small Non-Tumbling State Champhionship for the second year in a row

• February 4Band director Brett Dawson is voted 2016-2017 teacher of the year

The student news site of Coral Springs High School

Colt Chronicle

Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

Coral Springs is a melting pot of diversity, and we should be proud of it.

Lucas Maloney

Lucas Maloney

Ramishah Maruf, Editor-in-Chief

At first glance, a look inside the halls of Coral Springs shows a sea of different races, ethnicities and genders – a microcosm of the entire world.

There’s the curly-haired Cuban who got his first glimpse of freedom in America when he was seven. The Haitian immigrant who can’t speak a word of English, but found his first Creole-speaking friend in his journalism class. The lanky bass player who started a band in his mom’s garage.

There is no overwhelming majority race at our school, giving us a tolerant environment that allows us to grow in ways no textbook can teach us. Yet many students, predominantly in the AP and dual enrollment classes, do everything but embrace it.

We’ve heard these statements countless times: “This school is so ratchet,” or “I wish we weren’t so ghetto.” It’s time we stop using these microaggressions (many of which contain negative historical connotations towards the African American community) to describe Coral Springs. There is no shame in attending a school with socioeconomic diversity.

We enter freshman year with an almost egocentric view of the world surrounding us, but will leave learning, even if it’s just a little bit, of our place in it.”

We may work together in class, but too often do we diverge after that 2:40 bell. We shouldn’t have to tell who the kids from the gated subdivisions are from the ones in public housing based on what social clique they’re in.

We come from different cultures and socioeconomic backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common: we’re colts. We cheer on the same basketball team, dance to the same songs on prom night and eventually, end our four years here graduating in identical, royal blue caps and gowns. Our laughter is in the same language, whether it’s telling incoming freshman about the imaginary pool on the third floor or at the fourth fire evacuation of the week.

With a 73% minority enrollment, according to U.S. News, Coral Springs is one of the most diverse high schools in the state. We’ve been given a privilege that many students don’t have – the opportunity to learn from the distinct perspectives of our classmates. We enter freshman year with an almost egocentric view of the world surrounding us, but will leave learning, even if it’s just a little bit, of our place in it.

We can’t allow ourselves to fear diversity, for these are the exact conditions that allow hate to rise. Whether it’s through a noticeable presence on social media or today’s political climate, Coral Springs has faced its own racial tensions over the past few months.

Use your time at Coral Springs to prepare yourself for the global workforce, because according to census data, by 2050 55% of your coworkers will be minorities. Become comfortable relating and empathizing with those who come from marginalized communities. Take notice of the diverse student body and their remarkable achievements, and use those experiences to shield yourself from succumbing to the heinous speech being thrown around on every news channel. Go out of your comfort zone, because this is the best time and place to do it.

So, do yourself a favor and try some Cuban food (We’ve heard La Parilla on Sample is great). Learn a few words in Creole and have a conversation with your Haitian classmate. Attend your chemistry partner’s concert instead of chucking the flyer in the trash.

Because once graduation comes, you’ll never know when you’ll have that opportunity again.

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

Showcase

Scholar Season

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

News

Principal gets county promotion, school looks for replacement

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

News

Safe at school

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

News

Drama wins

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

Features

The Morning After

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

Showcase

New kids on the track

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

Features

It’s a new tradition

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

Features

Young voters connect with Hillary Clinton at Coral Springs rally

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

Opinion

Donald Trump will be our next president. We need to accept that.

• Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate

News

Remembering Jenkins

Diversity: Celebrate, don’t hate