• February 17Cheerleaders win fifth place at NCA Nationals

• February 4Competitive Cheer wins the FHSAA 2A Small Non-Tumbling State Champhionship for the second year in a row

• February 4Band director Brett Dawson is voted 2016-2017 teacher of the year

The student news site of Coral Springs High School

Colt Chronicle

Donald Trump will be our next president. We need to accept that.

Don't let this election ruin close relationships. If you're still upset about the new presidential-elect, rely on the support of your friends to help you get through this.

W. Kinnebrew

W. Kinnebrew

Editorial Staff

Donald Trump is our next president.

We know what it’s like to be upset by that news. We know what it’s like to feel like the world is crumbling down around you. Some of us may still be in denial. We’ve spent eight years under President Obama, and for many of us, the first election we paid attention to was met with crushing results.

We will get through this. Like many things in life, it will not be easy. We’ve made many progressions together as a country, and we can’t let anyone, not even the new president-elect, undo that.

We need to move on. Donald Trump is the 45th president, and no amount of protests and angry Facebook posts can change that. Many of his critics were horrified at his glorification of sectionalism. We denounced him and his supporters’ ideals, yet by refusing to acknowledge Trump as our president, we perpetrate the feelings of divisiveness in this country.

As difficult it may be to stand behind Trump, as citizens it is our responsibility to support him as our president-elect. We stand stronger united. This is not a time for Clinton supporters to burn flags and attack Trump supporters. This is not a time for Trump supporters to bask in their glory and use his win as an excuse to execute racial prejudice and hate.

This election left us divided, angry and bitter. Yet it’s crucial to remember that America is greater than any single president, and that we’ve withstood hardship time and time again. For 250 years American ideals and freedoms have stood strong in the face of war, economic disaster, and yes, a highly divisive presidency.

There’s the chance that a Trump presidency could succeed, and he at the very least deserves a chance to prove himself. He’s been elected with a mandate for change, and it’s clear that Americans have rejected the status quo. He is representing the viewpoint of the American people, both on the liberal and conservative side.

Don’t let the results of a presidential election disillusion you from the greatness of this country. An extended study abroad trip, or perhaps even immigration, to Canada, New Zealand or Scandinavia may sound appealing, but we can’t abandon our country during this time of need. In a few years, we will be the new electorate, and it will be us, not our parents, who will decide our new leader. Donald Trump may be our country’s present, but he is definitely not the future. We are.

We understand that you may feel all hopes of climate change, gun control and education reform may be lost. We also understand the joy that many students feel from Trump’s win. Trump may be our president, but it is the citizens of our great country who were intended to hold the power. Trump is one man – he cannot single-handedly pass all of his policies, whether you like it or not.

Many of us spent the past 18 months living and breathing by Clinton’s campaign slogan, “Stronger Together.” We can’t abandon this important ideal just because she isn’t our next President.

Because we are Americans, we are resilient and we will get through this – together.

• Donald Trump will be our next president. We need to accept that.

Showcase

Scholar Season

News

Principal gets county promotion, school looks for replacement

News

Safe at school

News

Drama wins

Features

The Morning After

Showcase

New kids on the track

Features

It’s a new tradition

Features

Young voters connect with Hillary Clinton at Coral Springs rally

News

Remembering Jenkins

Features

Not just a scarf