• February 17Cheerleaders win fifth place at NCA Nationals

• February 4Competitive Cheer wins the FHSAA 2A Small Non-Tumbling State Champhionship for the second year in a row

• February 4Band director Brett Dawson is voted 2016-2017 teacher of the year

The student news site of Coral Springs High School

Colt Chronicle

Staff Editorial: You will survive college rejection

R. Dorvilus

Ramishah Maruf, Editor-in-Chief

Well, here we go again. The same college rejection stories, repeated every single year.

You’ve been waiting for this moment for months. You’ve grown up wearing the school colors. You’ve written and rewritten your essay seemingly hundreds of times, reading it out loud to friends and family until you finally garnered enough courage to hit ‘submit application.’

And then, suddenly, a group of faceless admissions counselors crushed your dreams.

The day after is always the worst. Everyone who gets in tweets or Instagrams their acceptance letters. You didn’t post anything. So now everyone knows you didn’t get in. Your classmates feign sympathy when they hear the news. You know they aren’t really sad. They got in. Your teachers bring it up all day. It still stings.

You could’ve tried harder in calculus. A National Honor Society officer position could’ve helped. Maybe you should have taken those extra SAT classes. You’re still fuming that girl ranked below you got in and you didn’t.

We get it. Getting rejected sucks. For seniors, it’s one of the most exciting times of the year, but it also means millions of us will be receiving our rejection letters.

The college admissions hysteria starts freshman year, the prestige of the university indoctrinated in us until it’s the only school we can see.

But that’s the thing. Aren’t we all our own unique individual? So why are we basing our futures on the same prearranged pathway to success? Your future successes, your goals and your ambitions aren’t based on where you get your degree from. Ask anyone on the street. There are hundreds of ways to make your way into a career.

Life is defined by setbacks and diversions. Success is determined by how you recover from them. That’s the beauty of it, plain and simple.

Think about it. Can you truly get to know someone through a 600 word essay? All of their greatest struggles, triumphs, experiences – what makes them them?

Granted, colleges try. They want to know what your teachers have to say about you. They give you a tiny box to add in some additional information. But colleges don’t reject people. They reject applications.

Maybe your test scores weren’t high enough. The trumpet you played in band wasn’t quite as obscure as the oboe or bass clarinet. Your PR in cross country wasn’t low enough to get you a recruitment offer.

But those things don’t determine who you are as a person. Colleges haven’t grown up with you – they don’t see the exceptional characteristics that your friends and family see. Your self worth is not affected by a measly college decision. You have the power to carve your own path – not the hearts in an admissions office.

So, congratulations. You just got through the first of many rejections you’ll experience throughout your life. You’re going to get passed up for the major job promotion. You’ll get dumped by who you thought was ‘the one.’ You’ll get picked up, knocked down, thrown around and tossed aside – because that’s life. It happens. It always will.

Do yourself a favor and forget about those faceless admissions counselors. Go burn that rejection letter if you want. Start rooting for another football team. Embrace your future at your new school – it doesn’t matter if everyone knows it’s your second-choice.

Because you know what? You deserve to go to a school that actually wants you.

• Staff Editorial: You will survive college rejection

Showcase

Scholar Season

News

Principal gets county promotion, school looks for replacement

News

Safe at school

News

Drama wins

Features

The Morning After

Showcase

New kids on the track

Features

It’s a new tradition

Features

Young voters connect with Hillary Clinton at Coral Springs rally

Opinion

Donald Trump will be our next president. We need to accept that.

News

Remembering Jenkins