• February 17Cheerleaders win fifth place at NCA Nationals

• February 4Competitive Cheer wins the FHSAA 2A Small Non-Tumbling State Champhionship for the second year in a row

• February 4Band director Brett Dawson is voted 2016-2017 teacher of the year

The student news site of Coral Springs High School

Colt Chronicle

New kids on the track

Boys’ Cross Country advances to FHSAA state championships

After four years, the boys’ cross country team advanced to states at the Apalachee Regional Parkway in Tallahassee after an undefeated season. Pictured from left to right: Khiro Hoilett,  Jonathan Sanchez- Ribeiro, Tyler Brunton. Photo courtesy of FoxMar.

After four years, the boys’ cross country team advanced to states at the Apalachee Regional Parkway in Tallahassee after an undefeated season. Pictured from left to right: Khiro Hoilett, Jonathan Sanchez- Ribeiro, Tyler Brunton. Photo courtesy of FoxMar.

Kaci Thomas, Staff Writer

The road to states, according to senior Angel Ramirez, was no easy feat.

Cross country races not only require stamina and focus, but countless hours of grueling practice and hard work to reach an individual goal. It takes determination, both during the season and off, to reach your full potential and lower your time against other teammates, your own members and most importantly, yourself.

It’s this determination, according to Ramirez, that led him and seven other boys, including an alternate, to the state meet at the Apalachee Regional Parkway in Tallahassee.

“We spent early mornings during the summer doing difficult runs. It was important to stay dedicated to getting better as a team as well as individually,” Ramirez said.

The team included Khiro Hoilett, Isaac Louigene, Tyler Brunton, Jonathan Sanchez- Ribeiro, Lubny Adme, Michael Curro, Angel Ramirez and Jack Wickliffe. A team which, according to Brantley Barr, the coach of Coral Springs’ cross country teams for almost 40 years, one of the “best group of boys the school has ever had.”

Five of the seven runners received a personal record at the state meet.

“Being at the state meet was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Running with my team made it a really great experience and I hope to see us advance to a higher state ranking next year,” Jack Wickliffe said.

The team placed 24th place out of 24, a ranking lower than what the team expected.

“We were a little disappointed because we expected around 17th to 18th place,” senior Tyler Brunton said.

The boys’ cross country team went the entire season undefeated. They won the city meet and this year was the first time the boys won districts since 1991.

“The 2016 cross season was my first here at this school, and not only did it feel good to win districts, but we also became state qualifiers. We did not expect to make it that far and it gave us confidence and motivation to push ourselves even more,” junior Jonathan Sanchez-Ribeiro said.

The last time the boys’ cross country team made it to states was in 2012, before any members of the current team were students at Coral Springs.

“Finally getting to states my senior year was a pretty cool feeling. I was in eighth grade last time the team made it to states,” Brunton said. “It feels even better because we didn’t even expect to get to states this year. We were the underdogs and expected to be contenders next year.”

With only two seniors, Angel Ramirez and Tyler Brunton, graduating, hopes are high for another shot at the state competition next year. Junior Khiro Hoilett placed 45th overall.

“We left the competition realizing that we are a top team that has potential to improve in the years to come,” junior Michael Curro said. All it takes is hard work during the offseason to prepare for next year.”

• New kids on the track

Showcase

Scholar Season

• New kids on the track

News

Principal gets county promotion, school looks for replacement

• New kids on the track

News

Safe at school

• New kids on the track

News

Drama wins

• New kids on the track

Features

The Morning After

• New kids on the track

Features

It’s a new tradition

• New kids on the track

Features

Young voters connect with Hillary Clinton at Coral Springs rally

• New kids on the track

Opinion

Donald Trump will be our next president. We need to accept that.

• New kids on the track

News

Remembering Jenkins

• New kids on the track

Features

Not just a scarf

New kids on the track