• February 17Cheerleaders win fifth place at NCA Nationals

• February 4Competitive Cheer wins the FHSAA 2A Small Non-Tumbling State Champhionship for the second year in a row

• February 4Band director Brett Dawson is voted 2016-2017 teacher of the year

The student news site of Coral Springs High School

Colt Chronicle

Sports in Brief

Cheerleading and basketball enjoy success at the end of the season; lacrosse forms a team for the time in ten years.

Senior Sean Lowery rises to the basket to score for the Colts. Picture courtesy of Fox Mar.

Competitive Cheerleading

2017 UCA National Runners-Up

Flyer Tanyla Brown is supported by Kylie Simmons, Faye Marcus and Kailee Feller during a stunt at the FHSAA state championship. Photo courtesy of FoxMar.

It was the perfect Disney ending to a magical competition season. After an unexpected third place finish at the FHSAA state championships, the competitive cheerleading team won second place in the nation at the UCA National High School Cheerleading Championship from February 11-18.

“It was the best way to end my last competition season,” senior captain Carley Neer said. “We worked so hard throughout the season, and it was so nice to see it pay off.”

The team also beat out local rivals Coral Springs Charter, who won second place, and Miramar, who won tenth, in the small varsity non-tumbling division.

The team won zero deductions in preliminaries, semi-finals and finals.

“We got zero deductions, which means there were no falls, bobbles or visible imperfections,”

junior Rachel Argent said. “I think it was because we were just having fun, and we kept on reminding ourselves that so we weren’t under pressure.”

Head coach Lauren Ziegler is already planning strategies for a successful 2017-2018 season.

“[We want to] make sure that our practice and competition environments have a fun atmosphere… we also plan to analyze our score sheets. Pre-season workouts will be in place to make sure the teams mental and physical strength are up for the task of executing a difficult routine and having another successful season,” Ziegler said.

Varsity Boys’ Basketball

Regional Runners-Up

After taking home the state championship last year, the boys’ varsity basketball team hope to build on the success and momentum of the past season for a repeat in 2017.

The team lost ten players to graduation last year; nevertheless, they managed to make it to regional finals, where they were defeated by Wellington 82-62.

Under Head Coach Devin Barta’s signature intense practices and fast style of play, the team earned the district title against archrival Deerfield Beach.

Despite the devastating loss to Wellington, the team was satisfied with the  season’s turnout.

“Even though we lost a lot of players, we had a lot of talent on this team. All season long we had hopes of repeating the state championship run. We had a mix of maturity and young talent that made us an elite team,” senior Robbie Klages said.

This year the team participated in multiple tournaments, including the Kruel Classic where they enjoyed the best finish in recent years.

Perhaps what made the team so strong was the addition of new starters, including Wilvens Fluerizard, Alex London and Sean Lowery.

“It’s never easy when you join a new team, but these guys are so easy to get along with. We had great chemistry, great coaching and a great mentality. There might have been some doubters out there, but we knew we had the talent to repeat our successes,” Fluerizard said.

Lacrosse begins inaugural season

After a 10 year absence, the lacrosse team has returned, led by Coach Gray.

Both teams have started the season heavily inexperienced, but have improved since.

“When we first started, some people couldn’t even catch a ball, and now they’re doing it all. I have to commend the players on all their hard work that they have put in,” Gray said.

The road to improvement has been difficult.

“We have a lot of kids who have never played before and we’re playing against teams who have already been established for 10 or 15 years. We’re getting beat up a little bit, but the thing about it is that the players are trying real hard at getting better,” said Gray.

As of now, the team is running as an independent team, and will start competing at the district level next year.

The lacrosse team is still recruiting new players, and can use about ten players on both the boys’ and girls’ teams. Those interested can contact Coach Gray.

• Sports in Brief

Showcase

Scholar Season

• Sports in Brief

News

Principal gets county promotion, school looks for replacement

• Sports in Brief

News

Safe at school

• Sports in Brief

News

Drama wins

• Sports in Brief

Features

The Morning After

• Sports in Brief

Showcase

New kids on the track

• Sports in Brief

Features

It’s a new tradition

• Sports in Brief

Features

Young voters connect with Hillary Clinton at Coral Springs rally

• Sports in Brief

Opinion

Donald Trump will be our next president. We need to accept that.

• Sports in Brief

News

Remembering Jenkins

Sports in Brief